Translate

HEART WHISPERS

Saturday 19 April 2014

Potatoes in Soy, Honey and Vinegar Sauce.

It was Sunday afternoon and just coming back from church. I was famished and thinking what I would love to have for lunch. I run through what is available at home and all I could think of was potatoes. I knew I had to come up with something fast. spying the vegetable seller along my route( my emerency ingredient customer), I though a salad will be a good idea. Ouch, I didn't have enough money so I bought only a head of lettuce and some carrot thinking something could be made from this. Cooking a meal is a process. You have to think about the ingredients you want to use, how to use them, the cooking time and the presentation of the food. I personally love to savour my food when it looks so good. In Nigeria, Potatoes are usually either boiled or fried. We are not so much into elaborate cooking processes yet, we would spend huge amounts of money to have a continental meal. Well, Like I wrote on my earlier post on Going Continental with Avocado, with a little effort making a continental dish is easy. I believe this post is just in time for the Easter Celebrations.

INGREDIENTS

Meat/Chicken- steamed and cut into bite size pieces.
Potatoes - 6 medium sized pieces quartered and boiled.
Lettuce- 1 head. Shredded
Carrot- 4 Large pieces (or as much as you want)
Onion- 1 medium size
Garlic- 3 cloves
Ginger- 1 small piece. 
Note: you'll have to blend the ginger and garlic together or pound it in a small kitchen mortar.
Cameroon/Cayenne pepper- 1 teaspoon.
Dark Soy sauce- 2 teaspoons
Honey- 2 1/2 tablespoon
Apple Cider Vinegar- 3 Tablespoons.
Maggi- to taste


PREPARATION

Cut the carrot into small pieces. and slice the onions. Put your frying pan on low heat. Add 1 Cooking spoon of corn oil and 1/2 cooking spoon of sesame oil. When slightly hot, sautee your onions, add the blended garlic and ginger. keep stiring till the aroma of the garlic comes out. Add your carrots and keep stiring. You need your carrots tender, yet crunchy. Now I used hot dogs cut into bits for my meal so I added it early on to the carrots. Add maggi to season. (Note: you are not using salt as this is already in large quantity in the soy sauce). Add the potatoes and meat and stir. Leave on low heat for a minute. While this is on fire, mix the Soy sauce, Honey, Apple cider vinegar in a small bowl until consistency is same. and then pour over the steaming potatoes. Stir until all the ingredients are coated with sauce then take it off the fire. In your serving plate or platter, With your hand thoroughly washed, shred the lettuce onto the plate, and serve the potatoes on it. Dribble excess sauce at the bottom all over the potatoes.. Viola! Your meal is ready. The result of my cooking...




No comments:

Post a Comment